With my Viking Quilt Designer II came 4 stitch d-cards and 2 Embroidery d-cards. D-cards are used in some Viking models to allow access to other stitches and Embroidery designs. These little cards have the information stored on the back in a little computer chip. I quickly saw I needed a way to store my d-cards to keep them safe and clean. So, I made a d-card pocket. This is what it looks like from the outside folded up.
I cut a piece of fabric for the outside 10 x 13 inches. I cut another 10x13 piece for the inner lining. Then a 10x13 piece of low-loft batting and a piece of muslin. I layered the outer fabric, batting and muslin together like a quilt "sandwich". I sewed a straight stitch around the edges to keep the layers in place. Then I used decorative stitches and embroidery stitches from my QD II to decorate the fabric and quilt the layers together. Here is the complete outside....it's difficult to see some of the stitching I did in white thread but you get the general idea.
For the inside, I cut two pieces of clear vinyl 5-1/2 x 10 inches for the pockets. Using a coordinating fabric, I cut 1-inch strips to bind what will be the upper edges of the pockets. I sewed the binding on one long end of the vinyl. Then I places the vinyl on the insiding lining fabric, aligning the raw vinyl long edge to the outside short edge of the fabric. I wanted my pockets to be open to the inside so once I fold the case, the cards aren't going to slide out. I then sewed a seam in two places on the vinyl --- making 3 pockets on each piece of vinyl. Next, I put the lining fabric with the quilted outside, wrong sides together and basted the edges. I attached a binding like I would for a quilt and the d-card case was done.
This was a good chance to try some of the different stitches and feet of my new sewing machine. Two fat quarters of fabric was enough to complete the outiside, inside and binding. I made mine to hold the 6 cards that came with the machine. You could modify this to hold more cards if you wanted. Another improvement would be to put a ribbon on it so it could be tied closed or a piece of velcro to keep it closed.
When sewing on the vinyl, use presser foot H --- the vinyl will not stick to the foot and the materials will feed properly through the machine.