Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Garment making with the Quilt Designer II

I made my first garments on the Husqvarna Viking QD II this weekend. The pattern is McCall's M3610. I modified the neckline on the tank to make it higher and made the straps a tad wider. I had made a tank from this pattern before and felt the neckline was too low. The tank is made from a crepe type material. The shirt is cotton lawn, which is very sheer, lightweight material. I can't wait for warmer weather to wear this to work. I think it would also look good with a pair of jeans.

What did I learn about using the QD II from this? Well, I learned how to use the Sewing Advisor. Instead of trying to figure out which seam to use for overcasting and how to set the tension, I told the QD II I had a lightweight woven and wanted to do a seam and overcast. The machine then choose the correct overcast stitch and told me which presser foot to use (the J foot). Everything stitched up just great. No puckering, no jamming of fabric.


No comments: