A few months ago I bought a set of vintage quilt blocks from eBay. These had once been part of a quilt and were still attached in rows with sashing. There were 6 rows, each containing 8 blocks. The sashing was detoriating beyond thread bare, it practically fell apart in my hands.
The blocks had been machine sewn. I saw no remnants of actually quilting but some of the blocks are worn spots or torn fabric. I ripped what was left of the sashing. I think the blocks were originally supposed to be 9 inches finished. I say "supposed to be" because the seams were not straight and most of the blocks were less than 9 1/2" unfinished. I trimmed the blocks so they would all be 9 inches square before I put sashing back on them. Some were barely 9 inches! Talk about a challenge, this was!
I cut the sashing from white muslin at a size of 3 1/2 inches wide. I also added 3 1/2 inch wide sashing to the outside as a border. I'm pleased with the results. Hopefull later today I can get a shot of the whole top. Here are a couple of close ups.