Sunday, December 16, 2007

Moldy Christmas Ornaments!


I opened up a plastic bag that contained many Christmas ornaments to find green mold growing on a few. EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! After a few moments of panic, I calmed down enough to find a face mask and start sorting out the ornaments. All cloth ones went in a lingerie bag and into the washer on the hand-washable setting with mild detergent and non-chlorine bleach. The non-cloth ones got a wipe down with a clorox type wet wipe. Some were cross-stitch in little plastic frames. I carefully removed the fabric and washed them by hand.

The instigator of this incident seems to have been a cinnamon dough ornament brought home from school by my son at least 5 years ago. It had green growing all over it :(

I think all the other ornaments are going to be okay. A few had to have trim glued back on after going through the wash.

I guess I need to be more careful in how I store my ornaments. The cross stitch ornaments were ones I made about 20 years ago. Some of the ornaments in the bag were hand painted wood ornaments given to me about 30 years ago. They have a lot of sentimental value.

No comments: