Saturday, November 22, 2008

Happy Hour Quilt

I am blessed to live very close to two quilt shops. One of them had a pre-Thanksgiving sale this weekend. With everything 30% off, I knew I had to go over there on Friday. I found this wonderful pack of fat quarters - Redbird by Moda

I also had just read about the book "Happy Hour" from Atkinson Designs . So I grabbed the book and the fat quarters. I love the pattern book. I don't buy a lot of quilt books because I would rather spend my money on fabric. This book is great! Great looking designs, easy to follow instructions and fun patterns! The fabric requirements and instructions are included for various size quilts. There are even patterns for what to do with the leftover fabrics from these quilts. These are great for fat quarter collections.
Here is the quilt in progress
Here is the finished top from the pattern called "Snapshot". You can do borders if you want. I choose to not to borders. This is 5 x 7 blocks which is 45 x 63 inches finished size. This size used 12 fat quarters with some pieces left over to make a coordinating pillow or something interesting with.

A close up of the top.

Today I went back to the quilt shop to get backing and binding. Good thing I went today because they are almost sold out of this line! Being so close to the end of the year, the shop owner is trying to avoid buying fabric so she doesn't have to pay taxes on it as inventory.
I should also put in a plug for the LQS -- Quilts and Fixins of Jonesboro, Georgia. The ladies there are great. They first opened in 1998 and are still going strong. I love their selection of fabrics.

No comments: